How to Retouching Dramatic Portrait - PHOTOSHOP FULL TUTORIAL

 We're going to check retouching this dramatic portrait. so right here we are. We're now no longer pretty in photoshop yet. I've were given this uncooked file. It is a dot DNG file. Image 104 from this precise shoot. I need to open it in Photoshop and start the modifying process.So right here I'm simply withinside the Mac OS finder in home windows anyplace you are commencing from.Just double click on.


Dramatic Portrait - PHOTOSHOP FULL TUTORIAL


 You can proper click on on it to pick out to open it in Photoshop butwhatever you want. What's going to take place right here is it'll open it withinside the cameraraw editor first. Now we ought to undergo and do an entire lot with this portrait justin the digital digicam uncooked editor however for the sake of simply sticking with Photoshop purely, we'regoing to open this in Photoshop. Now, I am going to open it as a clever item so I'mgoing to keep down shift and spot how my open item converts to open item insteadof open picture. That's what we need. Open an item. It's going to robotically be a smartobject. That's what that little icon is, great.


 I can simply call this "base" due to the fact this isour base layer. And what I'll do is I'll drag this up due to the fact I do not want my adjustmentslayer to be, or my changes panel to be pretty so massive. First issue we're going to do is we willgo into liquify and simply extrade a pair matters. This is form of the most important pixelpushing issue. We're making use of it to a clever item so we will continually cross andundo it if we like. So I'm going filter, liquify. What I'm going to do right here inliquify whilst the panel does open, right here we are. I want to paintings with I can use theforward warp device I trust it is called, yeah there you cross. Forward warp device. I like mybrush to be large than the vicinity that I'm pushing. So my idea is right here, I will tryto push his cheeks form of inward only a little bit. And then perhaps attempt to, you knowpush out a number of his fingers and shoulders simply outline his muscle tissues a bit bit greater.So I can use my rectangular bracket keys to make my brush large or smaller. And I havea length of 900 right here, a density of approximately 69, and stress of 24. Looking good. And I can justpush in a completely little bit. What I need to take care is that I dont warp the timber and stuffto the outside.


 I need to make certain I do not do that, that could be terrible. I simply push hisshoulders out a bit bit, make him seem simply barely greater buff than he's in theflesh. We'll push out the triceps right here. Maybe even the biceps a bit bit. Justsomething form of like that. That seems good. I can come down right here and pick out thebloat device proper right here. And I can once more use my rectangular bracket key to make this a littlesmaller and simply contact every of the eyes. Make his eyes only a little large maybeeven his mouth only a tiny bit large. Not an excessive amount of large though. And we will justdo a brief earlier than and after preview. You can see we are now no longer converting a large quantity.however it is form of what is best with regards to the liquify device. You do not need to peer a large extrade. Next up, the complete picture is underexposed a bit bit so we're going to come overhere to our changes panel upload a curves adjustment and genuinely set the curvesadjustment mixture mode to display. You can see it'll simply flood in a few light.Let us see honestly see what we are running on right here. This manifestly could be likely anexposure slider adjustment withinside the digital digicam uncooked editor. But we are doing the whole lot right here inPhotoshop, now no longer withinside the digital digicam uncooked editor so we are going to roll with a display to curveslayer to start with. And then what I'm going to do is I'm going to feature a brand new layer. It'sprobably a higher concept to try this beneath the curves adjustment right here due to the fact we'regoing to start restoration up and cleansing up this picture. Look in any respect that noise down inthere.


 This turned into shot with I suppose a 5D MK II some of years ago. So the noise in lowlight isn't always the greatest. We're going to smooth up a number of those spots onhis face and do a little smooth up paintings there so I'm going to seize the restoration brush toolover right here. Not the spot restoration brush however the everyday restoration brush. I am going to setthe mode to everyday and I'm sampling from modern-day and underneath so I'll most effective be samplingoff of the bottom layer. And then defusion I'll likely set to approximately four. It's going toblend a bit bit a couple of could. Then I'm going to keep down my ALT or OPTkey and genuinely pattern to start sampling form of smooth arias of the pores and skin and protecting upany of those blemishes or freckles or some thing right here that I see that I do not need withinside the photo.There's form of this scar right here. We'll do away with that and so forth and so forth. Okay, as soon as theface is finished, you could run over the garb honestly speedy as nicely and simply smooth upanything there which you suppose wishes to be wiped clean up. There's an notable quantity ofnoise. Color noise right here on this darkish blouse. I can cross beforehand and brush away a number of thatstuff. You can spend as a lot or as little time cleansing up blemishes right here withinside the picture. I'mgoing to transport up above my curves layer and I can name this accretion simply brighten simply to keepit differentiated from what we are approximately to do.


 I'm going to feature curves adjustment layers.The pinnacle one I'm going to set to shadeation evade. You're going to peer it'll blow outmy highlights. The 2d one I'm going to set to shadeation burn. Then I'm going toselect every of the layer mask in right here withinside the residences panel for the layer masks I'mgoing to hit the invert button. It's going to fill the layer masks with black therefor hidingeverything on that layer which could be all that darkening and brightening stuff. I'mgoing to zoom returned into his face. I'm going to hit the letter "B" to seize my brush device.And I'm going to proper-click on and I'm going to length my brush device manner down right here. And Ineed it to head even smaller. So once more the rectangular bracket keys, proper click on. We need tomake certain hardness is ready to 0. That's great. And what we are going to appearance to do darkenup form of a few shadowy arias round his eye. Now at a hundred% opacity you could see it'sway too strong. So right here we will extrade the opacity of the comb. Let's set it right all the way down to likeI do not know, perhaps someplace round 10. Maybe 13. Let's see what this seems like.That's quite cool. We can upload the ones shadows and I'll come round right here. The fringe of thecolor part of his eye. Darken that up and darken up the very student of the attention as nicely.Make my brush a bit large.


 Just darken up the rims of the eyeball it is self. Makethem seem to come out of his head a bit greater. You want to be cautious you do not wantto cross too loopy with that portray on the rims of the eyeball results an excessive amount of. Youcan begin to make your problem appearance a bit alien and that is now no longer a terrific appearance. So I'll justtouch that, contact that and I'll zoom out and spot what we have got were given. There we cross, we are addingsome best form and size to the eyes. That's the shadowy stuff. We'll come to thecolor evade layer. So that is shadeation evade. And right here we're going to go together with the comb device, againI'm going to apply my perspective, now no longer my perspective brackets, my rectangular brackets. And I'm goingto length my brush down after which I'm going to start portray right here. Whites of the eyesagian to feature form after which fill in shiny- ness right here into the coloured part of theeye. Make certain we blow out the spotlight. Make the spotlight honestly best and shiny.It's going to make his eyes sparkle. There we cross, some thing like that. That seems good.We can zoom out a bit bit. We can see there his eyes are if we cross earlier than. There it isbefore. There it's miles after. Now of corse the splendor of adjustment layers is youcan make it as extream or now no longer as you want You can simply lessen opacity and tone theeffect down a bit bit and honestly get the precise eye retouch which you like.


 One otherthing I'll do. Add a colourful layer. Reduce vibrancy approximately 50 or so %. Again, pick out thelayer masks and we will simply CMD or CTRL I to invert the layer masks. I'm going to zoomback into the face and I'm going to seize the comb device. And this time I'm going toset the opacity of the comb device to love 50 ish %. And I'm simply going to color overthe whites of the eyes. And, so we are the use of a 50% brush on a layer a vibranc layer that'sreducing viberanc via way of means of terrible 50%. And it is simply going to assist simply do away with a number of thewayward shadeation withinside the eyes. It's now no longer going to lead them to definitely gray. It's going to get ridof a number of wayward shadeation withinside the eyes and simply normally make your problem appearance a littlemore healthy. And the identical issue right here. We'll paint over the enamel simply to whiten them upa little bit. You do not need to lead them to strong white. you simply need to form of brightenthem up a bit bit. This is a pleasing herbal manner to do that. So subsequent up, we can upload a newlayer. So new smooth layer right here. We're going to call this accretion evade scale back burn.And then we are going to come over right here and cross edit, we are going to pick out fill. and we'regoing to pick out to fill this with a 50% gray. Now I'll hit okay. And I may zoom out justa little bit right here. Ane we are going to set this to a mix mode of overlay. This is a nicehigh evaluation overlay however it nocks away some thing it is precisely 50% gray which isthe entirety of our layer. Then we can seize our evade device and I'm dodging with the rangeset to mid tones and an publicity of 20%. Once once more use your rectangular bracket keys to makeyour brush large or smaller. And we're going to simply paint a spotlight right here over his chest thereover his fingers throughout his forearm, some thing much like that.


 That seems great. I can comethrough the wrinkles right here. I can undergo and simply enliven his knees. Somethinglike that. You can come alongside right here any of the highlights on his hand. You can goahead and brighten the ones suckers proper up. it is great. And then we're going to cross beforehand andwe'll brighten the spotlight right here at the facet of his head. Just like that to make that alittle greater extream. The spotlight there on his chin, I can zoom in typically it is agood concept to zoom in whilst you are dodging and burning, mainly stufflike this. I can cross beforehand and simply upload a bit bit greater shine to his lips. We'regoing to be cautious now no longer to feature an excessive amount of. We do not need him to appear like a L'orealbeauty version or some thing like that. That could now no longer be the appearance that we are going for.I'll upload a bit bit greater right here to this cheek. And then I'm going initially a reallybig brush up right here at the forehead. I'll click on as soon as after which I'll make the comb alittle smaller and click on once more. Maybe once more and click on once more. Then I can keep down ALTor OPT at this factor. Maybe make my brush a bit smaller. Hold down ALT or OPT. It'sautomatically going to exchange to the burn device. I can darken up the eyebrows like that.I can cross beforehand and darken round the rims of the hair simply to honestly upload a few form anddimension into his hair.


 I can cross beforehand and make my brush a chunk bigger. Hold down ALTor OPT. I can paint down that facet of his nostril beneath his lip there and beneath hischin. some thing like that. That's quite cool. You can zoom out and spot what I've were given so far.I dig it. And then preserving down ALT or OPT once more and via way of means of the manner, ALT or OPT, it simply basicallyjust flips using the device. So proper now we have got were given the evade device. But whilst we holddown ALT or OPT, it quickly switches to the burn device. We ought to simply cross proper to theburn device and paint with the burn device like so and get the identical actual results. I'll comealong right here. Opps, undo it in case you make a stroke that is going in an area you do not need it to head.And we're going to upload a bit bit greater shadow wherein his arm is touching his knee. Somethinglike that. We can are available in right here and upload a bit greater shadow there beneath his legs. Ops,I'm going to undo that. And then proper down the center of his arms like so. So if we shutthis off, there may be what we've. If we flip evade and burn on, there may be what we've. What I'mgoing to attempt doing is duplicating this. CMD or CTRL + J. And that appears ridiculous, proper?But I'll pick out it and cross filter, blur, gaussian blur. I'll blur this, yeah, you already know what.let's cross 75px. And what we can do is lessen the opacity of this blurred layer to approximately 35or so. And then we're going to lessen the opacity of the underlying layer to love 50. Somethinglike that.


 So now if we close it off, vs flip it on. We get a far greater herbal appearance thatblends with the picture. It simply blends with it a bit bit higher. Alright, so let's beginworking on our firming now that we have got form of finished the dodging and burning and cleanedup the eyes and finished just like the pixel pushing retouching. let's start messing withcontrast, tone, shadeation that form of stuff. let's upload a curves adjustment layer right here.And what I need to do. I need to enhance my black factor up, perhaps some thing form of likethat. And then what I'll do is I'll pull right all the way down to proper approximately there. Just darken up a number of theshadows. A little bit greater. And then I'll pop out right here and I'll likely pull my highlightsback after which I'm going to drag my absolut white factor down someplace proper round there.So if I actual brief close the smooth off vs flip it on, you could see the distinction we are making. We'rekind of knocking down out a number of those center and darker tones a bit bit, supporting makethem a bit bit greater geared up to take the impact that we are approximately to offer it.


 Alright, so nowfrom the shadeation channel's drop down we're going to visit the purple shadeation chanal. And I'm going topull a bit little bit of cyan into the shadowy arias. Cyan is the other of purple. So if Ipush up, we are going to get lots of purple. If I pull down we're going to get lots of cyan. Andthen I'm going to feature a 2d pint up right here I'm going to drag down a bit bit furtherand I'm simply going to feature a bit little bit of cyan into this. So form of the mid-tones headinginto the highlights. Something a bit bit like that I suppose works. Next we're going to visit thegreen channel and I'm simply going to drag down in this a bit bit. Add a littlemagenta overall. you need this to be diffused due to the fact you may cross an excessive amount of and itlooks honestly terrible. You cross an excessive amount of withinside the breen and to be able to additionally appearance terrible. So you need to gonice and diffused simply with a pleasing little kiss of magenta there. It nearly have to appearance likeyou've finished not anything however you honestly have finished some thing. Then we're going to cross right all the way down to theblue channel right here and the primary issue we're going to do is we're going to increase the blues withinside the shadows somethinglike wow, some thing like that. And then the other of blue is yellow so I'm going to pullback via right here and get a few yellow into my decrease mid-tones. And I'll likely pull thehighest factor up right here and simply upload yellow as much as the brightest components of the picture. SoI close this off. First let's flip it on. You can see the impact we are getting proper? Just kindof muting the picture, converting the colours of it a bit bit. It seems quite good.Next what we're going to do is we're going to use a shadeation appearance up desk adjustment layer proper right here and I'mgoing to go together with a 3-d LUT file. We're going to apply one in every of their presets. We're going to gowith the crisp heat appearance. You can see it is very closely contrasted. It's were given plenty ofcolor and such things as that.


 That's now no longer a terrible issue due to the fact that is an adjustment layer.We can lessen the opacity knock that issue right all the way down to 40, 50%. Something like that. And youcan see, there may be earlier than and after. And now I'm searching at his blouse, it seems a bit tooblue for my taste. I need to desaturate a number of that blue. So I'm going to feature a hue/saturationadjustment layer. I'm going to seize the little finger scrubby device and all I want to do is scrubbackward even as soaring over his blouse and Photoshop's going to do it is first-rate to targetjust the ones degrees of blues and desaturate them as a lot as we like. So I suppose I'll takethis returned to approximately terrible 60. Something like that. If I cross earlier than and after, you cansee the distinction. Alright, so I like waht we have got were given so far. I am going to merge allthis to a brand new layer CMD SHIFT OPT E. That could be CTRL SHIFT ALT E at the PC. AndI'm going to transform this accretion via way of means of proper-clicking on it changing it to a clever item. And Iwill call this accretion sprucing. And what we're going to do is reproduction this accretion twice,CMD or CTRL + J.


 I'm going to cover the ones pinnacle layers. I'm going to pick out sharpeningright right here. Next what I'm going to do is I'm going to double-click on on my brief masks mode buttonright over right here, proper? It's proper underneath your colorations picker. I'm going to double-click on on that.I'm going to pick out to make certain it is decided on arias is what the shadeation's going to indicate.The shadeation of your masks may be some thing. I'm simply going with a inexperienced right here due to the fact whynot? Green's cool. Then I'm going to make certain I actually have my brush device. And I'm goingto use my rectangular bracket keys to make certain it is massive enough. I'm going with a completely softedge brush. You can see if I proper click on, my hardness is at 0. That's great. And I'mpainting with black.


 I'm simply going to head beforehand and paint over him. Now, you cansee it is semi see via. Our opacity is most effective 48%. Let's attempt cranking the opacityup to a hundred%. Make certain we are getting a complete on choice right here. Something like that.And I can cross in and simply paint over his pores and skin. Just ruffly does not honestly be counted if the selectionisn't best due to the fact we are going to even melt it greater right here in only a moment. Now hit theletter "Q". it'll load it as a choice. Then we're going to cross pick out, modify, feather, and we'llprobably feather this, I do not know, 100px. Something like that. And then what I'll dohere is cross filter, digital digicam uncooked filter, and right here had been interested by simply the sprucing. SoI'm going to visit the sprucing tab right here. And I'm going to zoom in on his face. We'regoing to make certain his face is a hundred%. a hundred is continually a terrific location to be. There we cross. AndI'm going to keep my ALT or OPT key and start dragging the quantity slider up till I get a nicecrisp picture.


 I'll crank up the radius as nicely only a little bit. I'll likely lessen detaila little bit. I have a tendency to locate that receives rid of a number of the smaller artifacting. And then I'llalso all even as preserving ALT or OPT drag the protecting slider till it seems like thesharpening is simply concentrated on specially his face and we are casting off t froma lot of those darker arias wherein all it'll sharpen up is noise. Now i'mgoing to hit ok. It seems like we have got been sprucing the whole lot, however we haven't. Allwe did turned into sharpen the face. In fact, if we open up that digital digicam uncooked adjustment it is connected to a clever item. You can see it use dour choice as a masks, great. Let'sgo to the following layer of sprucing right here. I'm going to another time hit the letter "Q".Grab my brush device. And now I'm going to color over his arms and the blouse right here. Soagain, this can be tough cus we are going to feather this. We're going to clean outthe edges a bit bit greater. In only a moment. You may be as tough as you want. Well now no longer asruff as you want. But it is able to be pretty tough. Once greater hit the letter "Q". And then we'regoing to head pick out, modify, feather.


 We'll feather it via way of means of 100px. That's great. And thenwe'll cross filter, digital digicam uncooked filter, and right here with garb, I'm yet again going to zoomin on it. We're going to head returned to the sprucing tab. I need to first and foremostincrease the radius plenty. And I'll cross beforehand and crank up the sharpness a chunk. And thenmaybe I'll even crank up the protecting. Something like that. That seems good, and I'll hit okay.Great, so there now we've the blouse sharpened. And the basis right here is simply thelevel sprucing the face wishes might be exclusive than the blouse. That will bedifferent than what the denims want. So right here, for any other degree of sprucing, yet again,filter, digital digicam uncooked filter. And this one we're going to masks this one after the fact. We can cross overhere to our sprucing. And I'm going to zoom in down right here at the pants. And herewe'll keep down ALT or OPT crank quantity. For the radios, I suppose I may depart the radiosdown form of low. And then I'll simply flip up protecting till it seems like we are basicallyisolating the sprucing. They're quite a lot simply the pant legs. It form of disseminatesout in the course of the picture as nicely. I'm going to hit ok, and I'll open this up. I'm going toselect the layer masks related to this clever filter. CMD or CTRL + I to fill it withblack and concealed that sprucing. Then we can seize our brush device. And now we're going to justsimply paint with white over the arias we need to be sharpened like we simply specifiedusing the digital digicam uncooked editor. Alright, now one more issue I need to do now that we'vekind of explored with the short protecting, I'm going to attempt crumble my clever item there.I'm going to hit the letter "Q" input into brief masks mode yet again. I'm going to zoomout. I need to make the vicinity at the back of the timber right here a bit bit brighter. So I'm justgoing to color over that. Maybe round him a bit bit. Paint over the timber. Somethingjust like so. Now I'm going to hit the letter "Q" and we need to use a large feather to this.Select modify, feather. We'll cross some thing like 450px. Hit okay. And then we're going to upload a levelsadjustment layer. That man proper there. Levels adjustment layer. And we're going to open upthe highlights a bit bit greater and simply increase them. 


 So you could see there may be earlier than,there may be after. That's great. And I may have toned them returned a bit an excessive amount of.So let's simply increase them a bit little little bit greater. Turn it on. You can see it is justgoing to honestly brighten matters up for us. Maybe we will increase the blacks simply to makesure the timber are not getting faded. There we cross, some thing like that appears best. Now I'mgoing to hit the letter "Q" once more and this time we are going to paint withinside the foreground. SoI need to make all these items darker up right here. Right? We need to simply darken and type offrame the picture right here. So now I'm going to hit the letter "Q". Once greater we're going to cross pick out,modify, feather. We'll feather this 450px as nicely. Add a tiers adjustment layer. And thisone I'm going to enhance the darkness. So I need to simply open up the ones shadows.


 I wantto be cautious cus shadows can form of cross loopy on you honestly fast. And you could see aquick earlier than and after much like that. And of direction the best issue approximately this due to the fact they'readjustment layers, we will lessen the opacity of both one of those. Just make certain we'regetting the stability that we need. And then finally, I'm going to merge all to a brand new layer,CMD + SHIFT + OPT + E, CTLR + SHIFT + ALT + E I'm going to transform this to a clever item.We will perhaps leap over to digital digicam uncooked editor and upload only a little little bit of firming to this.I'm going to zoom in only a little bit right here. And I'm going to name this, I do not know,very last - tones or some thing and we are going to hit CMD SHIFT or CTRL SHIFT and theletter A to open the clever item withinside the digital digicam uncooked editor. And I'm going to doubleclick at the zoom device and it'll zoom me to a hundred%. Hold down the spacebar key andjust pull my picture so I can see his face. Alright, so. First issue we're going to do. We're goingto pump the readability as much as approximately 20 ish. Or 16, perhaps I have to pump it a bit bitfurther, 21.


 Then we're going to come over to the results tab. We'll additionally bump de-haze up about15, 20 some thing proper round there. Then I'm going to return back over right here to my HSL slider inthe saturation. I'm going to desaturate blues pretty a chunk. That's going to assist manage someof that shadeation in his blouse. But I need to make certain I'm now no longer destroying his denims. They nevertheless lookpretty decent. Okay. And lastly, I suppose we're going to visit the tone curve. I'm running at the pointcurve, now no longer the parametric curve, the factor curve. And I'm going to pick out the black factor downhere. I'm going to alter it is outpoint to, I do not know, 2 or three perhaps I'll cross three. Then I can selectthe white factor all of the manner up right here. And this I'm going to drag down. We're going to set thisto approximately 240. It's simply going to form of flatten out a number of the ones honestly shiny highlightsfor us. And then I can cross beforehand and hit ok. And we will see what we were given. So there'sbefore we took to digital digicam uncooked, there may be once we took it to digital digicam uncooked.


 It's simply were given a littlebit greater bump to it. So now shall we play around with the crop device and simply see what our optionsare and the type of factors we will do with this completed picture. I'm going to head picture,reproduction, simply to replicate this over so we do not mess some thing up right here with our originalimage. In fact, I'm going to pick out these kinds of layers and simply delete them. So we are left with justour very last tones. And you could see right here in our cropped PSD, now no longer the unique one. And whatI'll do right here is I'll seize my crop device I'm going to set it to a ratio. The ratio goes tobe 29... 2.39 excuse me via way of means of 1. It's only a outstanding widescreen crop. Let me simply trycommit that and spot what this seems like right here, we're going to see. Not to terrible. Now I didn'tchoose to delete the crop pixel so I can click on yet again, I can resize this. I canmaybe take it down a chunk. We can take it and do some thing like that. Let's see whatthat seems like. Maybe if it feels a bit bit too tilted in on direction. So we're going to click on and wecan shift him over a bit bit. Maybe positioned him proper withinside the actual center. Something likethat. That seems quite cool. So my factor is you could honestly do plenty right here as soon as youhave your picture re-touched. And the crop device is a a laugh little device to mess around withat the end. But yeah, it is how we take all of those differant layers and create this onefinal picture. I'll simply keep down my ALT or OPT key and click on at the eyeball. There's the imagewe delivered in to Photoshop. Here is the picture we've now. And umm. That is a pleasing dramaticportrait re-contact in Photoshop.

Previous
Next Post »