How to Make Professional Portraits | Using lightroom & Photoshop

 Hello, Jens click here. I'm gonna show you how I edit this. I honestly enjoyed this photo the most throughout the whole session this was my favorite shot and you know for various reasons like proposed the way that the wind cut some little bit of motion in her dress the lighting and the expression and those are things that I look forward you know I look to capture the most you know having all those combinations of different things and one photo is is really something that aim for so before you start to edit try to aim for a very good base and just to kind of give you guys in a comparison you know the shot.


How to make professional portraits


 I took immediately before that it's not bad it's both of these are straight out of camera but I just didn't kind of like the posing so after immediately I took immediately after I took this photo I took this one and you know that's why I chose to edit it because I liked the various things I told you guys about so yeah sorry about that but I did wanna kind of really really stressed about how editing should only complement an already good photo so now.


 I'm gonna show you how to edit the shot the first thing I usually do is I add some sharpness to the photo so I'm gonna zoom in and you guys can see how it looks like this is completely straight of the camera the way I add sharpness is I go to the detail tab and sharpness by adding 60 there don't think that the sharpness is gonna save in a blur shot because it's not and then after that I'll try I probably enable the profile Corrections but what I usually always do is bring the vignetting back to you know how how it how it was before I did any thing because I do like the vignette because it kind of gives it draws the eye a little bit more to the to the to the subject and I usually have the subject in the center another huge thing for me is making the colors pretty pop and the way I do that is in the camera calibration area I go to the blue primary slider the saturation slider and I bring it all the way up to 60 but what this does is it makes the oranges and usually the bluesas well a little too bright you know actually before I you know fix that correction I do want to up the the vibrance as well because that's something.


 I do as well so yeah like I said the oranges and the blues get alittle too bumped up so what I usually do to bring it back down is in the huesaturation luminance session I go to the saturation and then bring the orangedown so usually it's around ten to fifteen ten looks pretty good because Ilower the temperature a little bit as well and then the Blues as well seeusually 40 is a good number there yeah because that I want it to be toodistracting to the photo so I'm gonna hit the what's a backslash to show thebefore that's what I did so far and that's how I get my colors so like Isaid before I did I don't want to bring the temperature a little further downand I liked it at actually fifty two hundred was pretty good specificallywith this shot because there was some flaring in the photo I really lost alittle bit of detail like contrast so what I'm gonna do right now is justlower the blacks to really get those colors nice and vivid I wouldn't do thisI wouldn't load their blacks this much for every photo but only because thatflare is there.


 I'm gonna bring it down and then I'm gonna bring the exposure back up to let's say five and then lower the highlights and maybe the whites see it's pretty good there's no hot spots or anything so this is the before and after right now that'show I got to this point I think the oranges still look so strong so I'm gonna reduce it down to maybe negative 19 and it's good there so now that I'mat this starting point I'm gonna just crop before I bring it into Photoshop the reason you know you guys can see that the actor box is in the corner orthe softbox is in the corner I think was dr. box yeah and II already edited this shot and it was that pretty much at this level and I dolike that crap so what I'm gonna do now is I'm gonna right click click Edit inand go to photoshop and it says edit in Photoshop CC 2015 but I have Photoshopcs6 open so it's gonna open that instead I have CC and extended both on mycomputer by prefer extended or cs6 just because it's um there's less I wanna sayfeatures but I think it makes makes it run a little bit smoother when I bringit into Photoshop the very first thing I do is I take out the blemishes using theclone stamp tool know the Spot Healing Brush tool and yeah pretty much thisbeheading brush tool so what am I do right now is just go ahead and do thatyou guys will see the fast forwarded version but you can slow down in YouTube okay so.


 I'm pretty much done with theSpot Healing Brush tool one tip that I want to give you guys when you're usingthis finding brush is to always adjust the brush size and you can do that by onthe keyboard next to the P is a closed bracket and open bracket you can usethat to adjust the brush size and one thing to take note is that you can dokind of like nice strokes like this but if you do anything biggerit might sample from an area that's too far or another thing is if you kind ofgo next to like their skin here in this hair here if I were to sample like a bigsection here it might grab some of the hair and onto a eyebrow so definitelykeep the strokes a little small and you know adjust the brush size so after Iremoved the blemishes off the skin what I usually do after is I removed otherminor distractions or flyaway hairs and you can see there's some flyaway hairsin this shot and the ones that you know that I noticed right away are this bigone just one this one this one this one maybe this and a couple of others here so what I'm gonna do right now is remove those and the way.


 I do that is usually through the patch tool but sometimes I'll use the stamp tool so I'm gonna goa head and do that right now again fast-forwarding okay so I finished doing the removal of the hair and if not removal then kind of reduction there's one here that was a little tricky up at the top so I just kind of got a stamp tool and just gently brushed over it so it kind of reduced the effect so I'm sure you guys the before and after of the skin in the hair and it's again it's a very minor step but it's one that it was really important to kind of remove certain distractions so immediately after your removing distractions like that I will start to well if you guys are curious I'm using I'm using a blank layer you never want to work on this layer or make a copy of it because then they'll just make your computer work extra hard so open a blank layer and if you're using the spotting brush make sure the sample all layers is on and if you're using the stamp tool the same thing current and below is pretty good and I'm using again it's a blank blank layer so that's just a little explanation on that now I'm going to start doing the Dodge and burn process the way I do that is curbs adjustment layers so I'm gonna go curves bring it up a little in the center and come command or ctrl I to invert it and that'll be my Dodge command okay oh well I'm getting ahead of myself I'm gonna bring it down open and open another curves adjustment layer bring it down and then again come out of control I.


 I kind of didn't know what Iwas doing so one thing I did to help me was bring a black and white adjustmentlayer bring down the Reds and the yellows and usually bring it to a levelwhere you can start to see all these little mismatches of color and skin andit's really gonna emphasis it emphasized all the all the you know the unpleasantparts and you use that as a good thing you know a good indication of where tododging where to burn so for example you know the banks are dark so you're gonnabe dodging that so and then there's one spot here that you're gonna dodge aswell and that's pretty much that you use the this black and white adjustmentlayer just to see exactly where to dodge and burn and again one thing that youneed to do with dodging burn is apply it very gently so for example if I were toyou know and another thing before I get you know into that is you want to makesure that you're painting the right color so right now I have black and thelayer is black so if I was paint nothing would show up make sure you know I'm ahex to you know get to white if I paint it's very very bright and you guys cansee that so you want to have it on a very low flow I always use one or twoand then make sure the hardness is all the way at 0% so yeah so.


 I'm gonna goahead and do that and you guys can see what I'm doing and I'll get back to youguys after I'm gonna okay so I've just finished the Dodgepart and I'm gonna just take a toggle the layer off and on so you guys can seewhat it did but I feel it's a little too bright in the face so I'm gonna go aheadand invert the color by hitting X I'm gonna just gently press brush a littlebit off the face and I'll see there was a difference there but it's subtle butit's there I'm gonna go ahead and do a little bit more and there I'm goodnow I'm gonna also start to do bird burn now and with burn all you're doing isgiving the photo extra contrast and you know and the way that you do that is youaim for the shadows so I'm gonna you know I'll leave this one on fast-forwarded because I usually keep it very minimal so I just added a littlebit oh I had a nothing because I had I was painting black on there so I'm gonna in vert it to white and and I almost shit you know hit ctrl Z you guys can see.


 it's a little bit of contrast that's basically it but if you if you have the lighting right you know you already have some of that contrast and and this point I don't really need to add anything extra so I'm just gonna get the legs you know I'm gonna give a little bit of extra attention to the the nose yeah cuz it was just low a little bit of a hotspot you guys asked me about hot spots all the time and usually if it's notfixed in lighting if I forget to fix it you know or if it's just you know something I missed then I'll just go ahead and you burn that area the hotspots and it kind of reduces the effect a lot and I think that's pretty much itI'm gonna hit our hold alt and click on this eye and it's gonna toggle everything off but the this layer so you guys can see how it looked like before and after and you know aside from that I'm pretty much done and after this I would just maybe do a little more sharpening using the high-pass filter method and then I would just say forand that's pretty much it guys I hope you guys enjoyed this quick tutorial if you guys want more tutorial sin the future you know long lengthy or more explanatory ones let me know and I'm welcome to all the feedback in the comment section. 

Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Click here for comments
Unknown
admin
August 28, 2020 at 5:51 PM ×

Portrait pop was amazing.

Congrats bro Unknown you got PERTAMAX...! hehehehe...
Reply
avatar